A simple cheese omelette is my go-to emergency dinner or lunch for when I have absolutely nothing else planned.
It’s perfect because it takes minutes to make, eggs are great for the kids and they love it!
Plus I can add additional vegetables such as peppers into the mix if I want to just to give the kids a little five-a-day boost.
The only trouble with this is my eldest is not a huge fan of peppers or cherry tomatoes, so I generally put the veg on the side for the girls to pick at.
You may also like:
Eggs are just the best ingredient to base a dinner around, because they have a long use by date. I always buy a large box of 12 every time we run out and this usually last us for a week and a half just because we eat them so frequently!
I’ll also use them for eggy bread (or French toast) and scrambled egg with smoked salmon, which is another big hit!
Anyway when it comes to a cheese omelette for toddlers the best way to make it easy on yourself to make is to have the right sized pan.
I have a pan that I only use to make omelettes! It’s a perfect size to cut up for the two kids to share. I use three eggs for the girls at the moment, although at the rate they’re currently growing they will soon need four egg omelettes!
When it comes to flipping the omelette, ease a spatula underneath the omelette only when it begins to firm up on top. This way you won’t have loads of runny egg going everywhere and spoiling the shape.
As with all of my toddler recipes, I don’t add any salt to season in order to keep their salt intake down.
I hope your little ones enjoy this recipe as much as my girls do! My eldest is now nearly five and still really enjoys this as a meal.
- Three eggs
- Generous knob of unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons grated cheddar cheese
- Get a pan on a medium heat. Crack the eggs into a jug or bowl and mix well with a whisk or fork.
- Put the butter into the pan when hot and wait for it to melt completely before adding the eggs.
- Add the grated cheese on top of the egg mixture, sprinkling it over evenly.
- Wait for the egg mixture to firm up around the edges and on top. This will take around two minutes.
- Flip the omelette and cook for a further one to two minutes.
- Serve with cucumber, carrot sticks or cherry tomatoes on the side!