We have a mountain of toys in our house but my toddler’s number one favourite thing to do is read a book. We spent ages reading to her from a very early age and she is completely hooked on books.
As a result we have accumulated quite the children’s book library and it is growing by the day. An awful lot of our books are by Julia Donaldson. She must be a billionaire! But we also have quite a lot of the classics and some I read as a child, such as The Very Hungry Caterpillar.
I love having a good selection of books because it stops me getting bored reading them to her. However she does have her favourites and I reckon I know Stickman and Elmer off by heart now!
Here’s my top 50 list of children’s books as tested by my own toddler. She’s read them all at least 20 times!
- The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson
- Elmer by David McKee
- Where’s Spot by Eric Hill
- Mog the Forgetful Cat by Judith Kerr
- Zog by Julia Donaldson
- Dear Zoo by Rod Campbell
- Zog and the Flying Doctors by Julia Donaldson
- The Snail and the Whale by Julia Donaldson
- The Scarecrows’ Wedding by Julia Donaldson
- Spinderella by Julia Donaldson
- Spot Bakes a Cake by Eric Hill
- The Noisy Book by Debby Slier
- That’s Not My Owl by Fiona Watt
- The Gruffalo’s Child by Julia Donaldson
- Nursery Rhymes
- Miffy by Dick Bruna
- The Highway Rat by Julia Donaldson
- First Big Book of Space from National Geographic Kids
- Room on the Broom by Julia Donaldson
- Fox’s Socks by Julia Donaldson
- Postman Bear by Julia Donaldson
- We’re Going On a Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen &a Helen Oxenbury
- Paw Patrol Chase is on the Case from Nickelodeon
- Tiddler by Julia Donaldson
- Oops-a-Daisy here comes Maisy by Elizabeth Dale and Natalia Moore
- When I Am Big by Penny Johnson
- Peppa’s Busy Day
- Elmer and the Rainbow by David McKee
- Elmer and Wilbur by David McKee
- Alphaprint 123 from Priddy Books
- Peppa’s Christmas
- Stories for 2 year olds from Tiger Tales
- Peepo! By Janet and Allan Ahlberg
- Stickman by Julia Donaldson
- The Tiger Who Came to Tea by Judith Kerr
- Mog and the Granny by Judith Kerr
- Elmer and the Lost Teddy by David McKee
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
- Mog and the VET by Judith Kerr
- The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams
- On The Night You Were Born by Nancy Tillman
- Usborne Illustrated Stories for Childen
- Bright Baby Colours, Numbers and Shapes
- Noisy Farm by Rod Campbell
- Superworm by Julia Donaldson
- Angelina’s Baby Sister by Katharine Holabird
- Spot goes on Holiday by Eric Hill
- Monkey Puzzle by Julia Donaldson
- Spot’s First Easter by Eric Hill
- Paddington Bear by Michael Bond
What are your book recommendations for toddlers? I’m always on the look out for more books to read to my kids!
Join me in the Bubble!
Subscribe to get my latest content by email, plus lots of hacks to save you, busy mama, precious time.