NFL Flag and Subway® bring American football across the pond

I’ve always loved the energy and enthusiasm Americans have for Super Bowl Sunday.

They make an entire day of enjoying the big game, with food, parties and celebrations.

However I have to confess I’ve never watched a game, let alone figured out how you play it, therefore it was with great excitement that I went along to cheer on kids at the NFL Flag Summer Bowl 2018, presented by Subway®, in London to find out what the fuss is all about.

Six professional NFL players travelled across the pond to join 1,000 school kids in a non-contact national final of the game.

The positivity and energy among the boys and girls taking part in this tournament was fantastic, and actually made me a bit jealous!

Sport when I was at school involved hockey, netball and rounders. Girls didn’t play football, cricket or rugby and apart from the odd trip to the local pool, that was as diverse as our physical education got.

Although all of these sports were great fun, I wish I had the chance to try out more sports when I was younger, and trying out something as exciting as American football would have been brilliant.

Me and Jacksonville Jaguars player Josh Lambo

I may not be able to pass on any sporty skills to my two daughters (though I can manage a good game of catch and just about kick a ball), but I want them to try out as many new activities as possible. It’s this that will help them discover what they are passionate about, and to just have fun. Even though she’s only three, my eldest already has an amazing aim and I reckon she would be a brilliant American football player!

American football is the fastest growing sport in the UK, so it looks likely that they will get a chance to give it a go during their time at school.

The NFL Flag programme, in partnership with Subway®, has created a fantastic curriculum to bring the sport to more schools.

Of course the professional NFL players get quite hands on with their opponents but this non-contact version has no tackling.

It involves grabbing a strip of material from players on your opposing team instead of tackling them for the ball. Otherwise the rules are much the same as American football.

So there’s no scrums, just lots of running, passing, throwing and touch down celebrations.

I was so inspired by this programme that NFL has brought over to the UK. The children – who came from all over the country to compete – were clearly huge fans of the sport and were thrilled to meet some of their NFL heroes.

Excited children from across the country get ready to play at the Summer Bowl 2018

The players came along to inspire their young fans and spent a lot of time signing sports shirts and chatting with the children about the sport.

There was so much enthusiasm among the kids on the day and I loved watching how much fun the kids were clearly having.

Now there’s a chance for you to get your children involved in the sport. Subway® is sponsoring the NFL Flag programme to bring the programme to more schools around the UK for kids aged 8 to 11. The goal is to get more kids playing the sport, as well as teach young people other valuable information such as maintaining a good diet, the importance of respect, integrity and responsibility.

More than 10,000 kids have already taken part in the NFL Flag programme, presented by Subway®, so far and there are plans to roll the scheme out to even more schools.

All you need to do is register your school’s interest by filling in the online form at this link.

NFL Flag presented by Subway® involves a six to 12 week curriculum for the school to teach the sport and values promoted by the NFL.

Subway® always has great offers on, so be sure to check out their Kids Pak in stores now and an NFL themed Kids Pak coming in September!

Keep Calm and Carry On Linking Sunday
This post was sponsored by Subway®.

1. August 5, 2018 / 4:53 pm

I am not really a super bowl fan, but my eldest son tells me that I should support the Miami dolphins ( whoever they are!) #kcacols@_karendenbid199@gmail. Is

• August 7, 2018 / 1:18 pm

My nephews are crazy about American football! I would love to have a Super Bowl Sunday party!

• August 10, 2018 / 3:18 pm

I’m an American fan of the Dolphins, and will tell you that you should probably pick a better team. They have been frustrating me for the past thirty years! #KCACOLS

2. August 7, 2018 / 7:03 am

I love the fact Subway is supporting NFL Flag in the UK. If a sport is going to appeal to kids, I’m all for it! There’s no doubt NFL Flag does appeal to the boys and girls who play so here’s hoping lots of schools will sign up.

• August 7, 2018 / 1:18 pm

I think it has massive appeal for all kids and I really hope lots more schools do take it up. It’s great to have kids playing something a bit different!

3. August 7, 2018 / 12:41 pm

I think it’s so good when big brands come up with schemes to get children into sports, especially ones that aren’t as big in this country 🙂

• August 7, 2018 / 1:19 pm

Yes totally agree, it’s so nice to get kids together doing something positive!

4. August 7, 2018 / 3:09 pm

I’ve not really watched the Superbowl before but have heard so much about it – it looks like great fun! #KCACOLS

• August 10, 2018 / 12:54 pm

It was brilliant! I was so impressed and it’s so much bigger in the UK than I realised!

5. August 7, 2018 / 6:49 pm

I love how sport can bring people together. This is an amazing idea, I really hope more schools join in on this.

• August 10, 2018 / 12:54 pm

It’s so great isn’t it? Sport’s so important for kids

6. August 7, 2018 / 10:16 pm

I have to admit that American Football totally baffles me. But this event sounds brilliant and it’s great that they’re trying to get more kids involved in the sport.

• August 10, 2018 / 12:55 pm

Yep I’m still not totally clear on the rules to be honest! There seems to be lots of running though!

7. Thoroughly Modern Grandma
    August 8, 2018 / 12:31 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever watched a full game of American Football they always seem so long. But this sounds excellent and I think it’s an excellent idea to get more sports in Primary schools and encourage kids to try new things.

• August 10, 2018 / 12:55 pm

Absolutely, trying new things is so important at this young age!

8. August 8, 2018 / 1:43 pm

How I would love to watch american football one day, I can imagine its super fun day to experience it.

9. August 8, 2018 / 4:59 pm

This is fab! I love the fact that subway are supporting an active support – bring on NFL! 🙂 x

10. August 8, 2018 / 5:31 pm

It’s great that American football has made its way to the UK. Awesome for kids, and adults, to learn a new sport and a great way to stay active!

11. August 8, 2018 / 9:27 pm

I had a friend who played American football about 15years ago. No one hardly played it and I was always so impressed!!! I’ve not heard of anymore playing it since, so it’s great that a big brand is getting on board with this

12. Wendy
    August 10, 2018 / 9:05 pm

I have only ever watched the super bowl once, we had to stay up all night and when it came on I didn’t understand the game at all! I love the sound of this programme though and that the sport has been adapted to make it safer for children to play, those tackles do look like they would hurt! Anything that gets kids interested and excited about sport is a great idea in my eyes, i wonder if this applies for Welsh schools because my Leo would love this xx

13. August 12, 2018 / 8:56 pm

Even though I literally know nothing about American Football, I love the enthusiasm the American’s have for it too. I think it is a brilliant idea to introduce the sport to schools and encourage kids to join in. Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next time

14. August 15, 2018 / 9:28 pm

It’s always good to encourage our children to try something different and if it involves getting active and team work, all the better. A great campaign. #kcacols

15. August 16, 2018 / 10:47 pm

I love the Superbowl and have been once to London to watch it! Could definitely get into it! #KCACOLS

16. August 16, 2018 / 11:45 pm

I hadn’t heard anything about this until now, but it sounds like a great idea. My husband is a big NFL fan and would love it if our children had the chance to play american football. x #KCACOLS