Juggling work life and mum life

As a busy full-time working mum, I need everything in my life to be practical.

I’m juggling several balls at once all day every day, from the kids and work to cleaning the house and keeping up with all those little disasters that get in the way, like leaky showers and broken dishwashers.

Everything needs to work in my favour, because with all of these challenges I’m already jogging uphill, I don’t need anything getting in my way.

I need practical meals, because they have to be quick to cook and be eaten by every member of the family, I need a practical house, because I’ve got four people with different needs living there, and I need my clothes to be practical. Shoes are particularly important, because I’m constantly on my feet chasing around after someone or something.

Gone are the days of wearing sky high heels inspired by Carrie Bradshaw from Sex and the City, and I’m actually relieved as I’m sure my feet are too! When it comes to footwear, it’s just not sensible to be totting about in 5inch heels at your local farm, or carrying a screaming toddler through a busy car park while wobbling on your toes.

I’ve always had quite delicate feet that are prone to blisters. It doesn’t take much for a shoe to make my feet sore, so I’m always very careful about what I pick. As a result, I’ve had a few pairs of shoes that I have worn until the soles were nearly completely gone because they were so reliable.

And yet I still crave beautiful footwear, because while I am of course a mum, I’m also a woman with a love for all things pretty.

So then the important question for me now is, can practical be pretty?

Although this question may not be particularly practical, I feel that little more confident, that bit more energetic, when I like what I’m wearing. So surely it makes sense to look for both!

That’s why I was really excited when Strive contacted me to try out a pair of their shoes.

Strive footwear uses biomechanical footbed technology to keep your feet comfortable. The contouring can help reduce common aches and pains related to poor posture, something I am absolutely guilty of since having kids.

So they tick the box for practical, but what about style?

I picked the Ibiza sandal in muted pink (£69.95). Made from leather/suede, this beautiful sandal has sparkly diamante adorning the top, making them perfect to way both day and night.

As soon as I slipped them on my feet, it was like a Cinderella moment! They fit perfectly and I never wanted to take them off, plus they are simply gorgeous, forget about Prince Charming, I’ll just keep these shoes thanks very much!

Not only do they make me smile every time I look down at my feet, but they’re so versatile. I can wear them with dresses, skirts, trousers and jeans, and they work with both smart and casual outfits.

As someone who conducts most of their life in a mad rush, from the nursery drop-off to reaching a play date on time, It’s so fab to have a pair of shoes that I can live in this spring and summer.

All I need to do is slip them on, and I know my feet will be super happy all day. Happy feet, happy mummy, which means happy kids!

Here are some of my top tips for juggling work life and mum life:

Meal planning

This one is crucial, because you don’t want to reach 6pm, with hungry mouths to feed and nothing to give them. Going out for a last-minute dash to the supermarket just isn’t what we need!

When doing your weekly shop, write down what you will have every single day. Pick meals everyone will eat and make sure you have all the ingredients in.

Also always remember to stock up on your essentials such as milk, bread and butter.

Lay out outfits the day before

My hubby and I share getting the kids dressed in the mornings, so it’s a big help if the clothes are just there ready to go and we don’t have to run around each other fishing clean trousers out of drawers and hunting for socks.

Pack all bags the night before

Nursery bags and your work bag need to be packed and by the front door before you go to bed. Scrambling round for keys and spare clothes in the morning will just cause stress that we don’t need!

Also have shoes next to the bags.

Avoid dry clean only clothing

With the washing piling up every day, the last thing you need is a weekly dash to the dry cleaners.

Enjoy your down time

When it gets to your day off, plan something fun to do away from the house.

It doesn’t have to cost the earth, just visiting a new place to walk or a new playground can help make the most of free time.

Try making a wish list of places to go and stick it on your fridge. Ticking off the places is really satisfying!

What are your tips for juggling work and mum life?

Don’t forget to visit Strive and check out the rest of their gorgeous collection.

x

Join me in the Bubble!

Subscribe to get my latest content by email, plus lots of hacks to save you, busy mama, precious time.

We won't send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time. Powered by ConvertKit
I was sent a pair of Strive shoes in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own. This post contains affiliate links, which means when you purchase through it I receive a small commission (it doesn't cost you anything extra) and the money goes back into running the site.

1. March 28, 2018 / 9:06 am

Yes! the dry clean only fail. I used to have quite a few work suits which were dry clean only – they are now in the back of the wardrobe collecting dust. The dry cleaners is just not on my list of places to frequent right now (and turns out that actually, there are some really nice machine washable suits available too!) #fortheloveofBLOG

2. March 28, 2018 / 9:45 am

Great post , I really need to up my game on the meal planning front , it’d would save so much time and stress #fortheloveofBLOG

3. March 28, 2018 / 10:05 am

Those shoes are lovely and look so comfortable. I’m with you with the comfortable shoes especially with kids they are most definitely needed #fortheloveofBLOG

4. March 28, 2018 / 1:23 pm

They are so pretty! Lovely shoes. I’m a big fan of meal planning. One less thing to think about every day #fortheloveofBLOG

5. March 28, 2018 / 2:42 pm

Meal planning is my biggest downfall. I spend way too long just deciding what to eat, let alone actually cooking it. #fortheloveofblog

6. March 28, 2018 / 7:28 pm

Fabulous post! I wish I was good at meal planning! But I’m great at packing the night before and laying out clothes. Enjoying the down time is everyone’s favorite in our house!

7. March 28, 2018 / 8:39 pm

Love those sandals – I’m all about comfortable shoes too, and it can be hard to find sandals that are easy to walk in. I can’t remember the last time I wore heels! #fortheloveofBLOG

8. March 28, 2018 / 10:06 pm

These look great on you! As a busy mu, we need practical and realistic items around us to make our lives easier!!! #fortheloveofblog

9. March 28, 2018 / 10:08 pm

Currently working on meal planning. Hope I can stick to it this time. #fortheloveofblog

10. Tracey Abrahams
    March 28, 2018 / 10:25 pm

I am a complete slave to my feet. They have always been very delicate and prone to blistering, so finding somewhere that does good looking conftable shoes is a real bonus for me.
    #fortheloveofblog

11. March 29, 2018 / 10:39 am

Yes to meal planning! That’s one I can actually manage…. I do, however, have at least three loads of washing to do at any given time ;0) #fortheloveofBLOG xx

12. March 29, 2018 / 11:05 am

Love these sandals! The sun is shining here and it’s inspired to me to get some of my Spring clothes out #fortheloveofBLOG

13. March 29, 2018 / 1:24 pm

Wow the dry clean one has caught me out before, I now never buy anything that is dry clean only. Although the few items I have I just put them in the tumble dryer with a sheet to freshen them up a bit if they are not dirty!

• March 29, 2018 / 2:12 pm

I think down time is so vital as we all juggle so much these days. I must meal plan, I must meal plan – I keep saying this and not doing it #fortheloveofblog

14. March 29, 2018 / 8:47 pm

Some great advice here! I’m dreading going back to work, but will definitely be using some of these tips. The flip flops are look comfy and pretty! Can’t wait for flip flop weather.

15. March 29, 2018 / 8:57 pm

Work-life balance can be difficult but with proper planning and organising we get through it. Love your tips and ooh those sandals look super comfy.#fortheloveofblog

16. March 31, 2018 / 7:27 pm

I’m all for meal planning. It makes shopping cheaper and meal times less stressful #fortheloveofBLOG

17. April 2, 2018 / 4:21 pm

I’m all for comfort and looking good. I’ve never been into heels as a result unless it’s for dancing when they can help with that spinnning #fortheloveofBLOG

18. April 3, 2018 / 11:24 am

I think im the only one who cant wear sandals, they just dont feel comfortable between my toes! But these look beautiful and I wish I could wear them! #fortheloveofBLOG

19. April 3, 2018 / 8:51 pm

I’m not working, but still have enough to do all day everyday, and the meal planning is something I need to do some more work on… Though meals that we all eat will never happen, I fear.
    Oh and the shoes look so comfortable, would love some of those! x #fortheloveofBLOG

20. April 6, 2018 / 8:09 pm

Meal planning is like studying a foreign language for me… helpless! I need to get this, or my Mrs. does…we always get to dinner and scramble. Oy! #fortheloveofBLOG xoxo