Mumsnet Micro-Influencers Event – What I learned

Gorgeous venue at Huckletree West – so great for Instagram pictures

The Mumsnet Micro-Influencers event was only my second blogging conference.

It’s hard to believe I’ve only been blogging for five months – it feels like much longer and I wish I had taken it up sooner.

It’s a fabulous hobby to have, not least because the community around blogging is so very supportive, welcoming and lovely. We are all mummies juggling kids and our passion for blogging.

Because I am a newbie I can’t offer comparisons to any previous Mumsnet events, as this was the first of a new format.

However what I can say is this was a brilliant, informative, positive and so very useful day. And what’s more, it was FREE! That’s right, we spoke to experts one-on-one, were given insider tips and I had three cocktails at the end of the day and I didn’t spend a thing. Happy days.

Cheers to my fellow bloggers

Also the cocktails were delicious. But enough about the booze, what did I learn? Loads. In case you weren’t there, here are my favourite tips and pieces of advice from the day:

Facebook – session with Cat Davies and Marie Evans from Our x Agency

You don’t have to know it all. Don’t think that because you’ve been out of the game for a while that you can’t catch up and learn. People who have been in the industry are still learning all of the time as updates are constant.

Remember a call to action. When posting to your Facebook page and groups, remember to tell people what to do. Tell them to click the link, share the post, make a comment.

Be responsive. Engage back with your community and add value with extra tips when discussing your posts with them.

Video should be vertical. Think of how people view video on their mobiles, this is the best format do Facebook.

The average user watches for 16.7 seconds. In video you need to capture the attention early as possible.

Subtitles are essential. Most users watch silently (probably while trying to get a baby to sleep). Subtitles makes the video more accessible for your user.

Facebook Watch is the future. It’s only in the US now, but it will be rolled out in the UK soon. It’s the Facebook equivalent of Netflix and you can have your own series right there. Start thinking about how you can use Facebook Watch for your blog now.

Instagram – Whitney Rosenthal from the Emerging Influencer Talent Team at Instagram

Whitney the Instagram guru – she advised us to worry less about follower numbers and more about engagement rate. Tell brands you have a small following but “my engagement rate is f***ing cray”, she’s my new hero

There are 800million+ people active on Instagram monthly.

There are 500million active people daily.

The time watching video is up 80 per cent year on year. This means you need to think about how video can work in your feed. Make it instantly engaging, as people have to be grabbed in the first three seconds.

Multi-post. There are 10 spots in a multi-post. Mix it up with video and photo.

Where to put your hashtags. It is better to put your hashtags in the caption. This one really interested me as many people advise to put them in your first comment. Apparently the algorithm will still pick them up in the first comment, but they have more power to be picked up in the caption as comments are calculated differently.

Taylor Swift vs Kanye changed Instagram. The feud between Taylor and Kanye led to thousands of people putting snake emojis in Taylor’s feed. This abuse led Instagram to create their blocking and filtering of comments feature. They didn’t want Taylor to be put off from using Insta in the future because she would just keep getting hate. Whitney said: “Now forever more no snake emoji will show up in her comments.”

Use live. You will see higher engagement and it is given priority in the bar at the top of people’s Instagram stories feed.

Go live with a friend. I love the sound of this new feature. When you’re live you can add a friend to join you on split screen, wherever they are. The scope for using this is amazing! Celebs are using it to randomly pick a fan to have an Instagram live with. They choose them at random from their comments.

Engage and promote kindness. Instagram wants to be the kindest place on the internet, so be nice!

Create a cast of characters. Collaborate with fellow bloggers often, with pictures and lives and tagging. This can help you to show up more in “related accounts” when people follow your Instagram blogging colleagues.

How to Build A Successful Freelance Business – with Hannah Martin from the Talented Ladies Club

Your blog is your business. Start treating it like a business so that you can be taken seriously by brands you want to work with.

Establish your terms and conditions. Decide how many days you expect to be paid within and stick to that.

Have a rate card. This sets out your costs right away. Create packages, with your ultimate package at the very top featuring bullet point of all that includes. This means when people look at your mid-range package, they see that as a bargain.

Ban the words just, little and only. You are not “just” a blogger.

Build a body of work to attract the right brands. If you want to work with Calvin Klein in the future, you shouldn’t say yes to Poundland today.

Elevator pitch. Always use the same copy when describing what you do. Have that 100 word elevator pitch describing who you are and what you do ready to go.

Don’t compare your truth to someone else’s marketing and PR. I adore this tip! Don’t believe the hype, you don’t l know what’s really going on behind the scenes of someone’s blog. Just keep doing what you do.

Be resilient. When you have a bad day, just pick yourself up and keep going. It’s the people who keep going and work hard who will make it.

Working with Mumsnet and brands – Amie Shearer

Check your spelling and grammar. So basic but so many people make this mistake.

Check your contact details are correct. Make it easy to find them on your blog as well.

Have links to your social channels somewhere very obvious on your blog.

Don’t talk about brand X when applying to work with brand Y. This means you won’t even get your application shortlisted to be shown to the client.

Have authentic content.

Make commercial content your own. Write it in your voice and present it as part of your world. It shouldn’t look out of place on your blog. Too much heavy advertising content is a bore.

The Mumsnet blogging team is rebranding to Mumsnet Influencers plus they’re overhauling their website so stay tuned for the changes.

Sara Tasker from Me and Orla

Sara took part in a powerful Q&A explaining her rise to becoming an influencer. What I found really reassuring was that Sara said she still suffers from self-doubt despite her overwhelming success. She still worries if her courses will sell out.

Sara also had really positive things to say about podcasting, and that it’s a brilliant new way to engage with your audience. This is definitely an area I would like to explore in the future.

Canon were also there on the day giving advice on the best kit for bloggers. I was already planning to ask for the Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II Digital Camera for Christmas but now I’m totally sold. Their printers are absolutely fantastic too!

And last but not least I loved catching up with and meeting new bloggers. I had a fab time hanging out with Sarah from Surrey Mama, Kristie from Mamma Prada, Cecile from The Frenchie Mummy, Erin from Merin and Co, Sara from Me and Orla, and Jennie from the Uterus Monologues, to name a few.

So I would say if you get a chance to attend one of these events in the future, definitely take it. It’s well worth taking the time to go.

Did you attend the Mumsnet Influencers event? What did you think? What was the most valuable thing you learned?

Disclaimer: this post contains an Amazon affiliate link.

1. November 12, 2017 / 9:46 am

Glad to see the event went well – sounds like a considerable improvement over the previous two years of Blogfest which I attended. (Congrats to Amie and the team for doing what seems to have been acclaimed as a great job by the vast majority of attendees.)

One technical note on using portrait format for Facebook video – it’s recommended that you don’t use more than a 3:2 aspect ratio as Facebook will ‘mask’ anything more than this in the News Feed (i.e. chop off the top and bottom). It will still display in full format if someone clicks on the video, but not in the News Feed scroll. So if you normally shoot in ‘widescreen’ (16:9) bear in mind that you are better off treating the top and bottom of a portrait video as dead space when you are shooting. If that makes sense!

November 12, 2017 / 12:36 pm

Thanks Tim, yes that does make sense. Great clarification on the technical aspects of it. It was a really good day

2. Marcelle
    November 12, 2017 / 11:22 am

Really interesting post, thank you !

3. November 12, 2017 / 2:30 pm

Really interesting write up, thanks for taking the time to share!

4. November 13, 2017 / 7:24 pm

I loved the conference too. It was so good. It’s funny, in our session Whitney said there was no difference to where you put the hashtags.

November 13, 2017 / 7:40 pm

How interesting, her recommendation was definitely to put it in your caption, though she said it only made a minor amount of difference x

5. November 15, 2017 / 6:20 am

Interesting. I hate the videos – I never watch them – who has time for that? But I found your comment on the hashtag quite interesting. I would have thought the comment too. That’s pretty funny about the Taytay v Kanye….#FortheloveofBLOG

November 15, 2017 / 8:27 am

Yes the hashtag thing was a bit of an eye opener x

6. November 15, 2017 / 8:15 am

This is wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing the tips you’ve learnt – really interesting x #fortheloveofBLOG

November 15, 2017 / 8:26 am

You’re welcome lovely x

7. Tracey Abrahams
    November 15, 2017 / 8:21 am

I agree with putting subtitles in videos. As somekne with hearing problems this is a make or break to whether I watch or not. #fortheloveofblog

November 15, 2017 / 8:26 am

That’s interesting. I find I often have my phone or iPad on mute anyway as I don’t want it to make loud noises at nap time so without subtitles I have no idea what the content is and if I’m interested in it x

8. November 15, 2017 / 9:01 am

Some great advice there. Plus the event was free, with 3 free cocktails. Win win

9. November 15, 2017 / 9:03 am

Fab post with loads of really useful tips. It sounds like it was a really good event. X #fortheloveofBLOG

10. November 15, 2017 / 9:23 am

I’m too still just a baby at blogging – this month it’s 7 months. This is great as you learn so much from attending these conferences – thanks for sharing.#fortheloveofBLOG

11. November 15, 2017 / 9:34 am

Ah Vicky this all sounds fans, so many brilliant tips!! Sometimes I wish I didn’t live in NI so I could attend more events like this!! Excited to try Facebook Watch when it arrives!xx #fortheloveofblog

12. November 15, 2017 / 11:50 am

It sounds like you had a great time and got a lot out of it. Thanks for sharing the tips you got with us 🙂 #fortheloveofBLOG

13. November 15, 2017 / 12:53 pm

As much as the term ‘influencers’ makes me cringe a bit, it sounds like the event was really useful. I don’t currently commercialise my blog but I definitely could be using social media better! #fortheloveofBLOG

14. November 15, 2017 / 2:58 pm

As a newbie to the blogging community, I’m currently just writing for personal reasons. However this doesn’t mean I can’t follow the advice you’ve so kindly shared above. Was it an invite only event or could you sign up as a ‘nobody’ so to speak! Now to bookmark this page and spend some time re-reading this evening when the kids aren’t hanging off my legs. Thank you for sharing! #fortheloveofBLOG

November 16, 2017 / 9:16 pm

Hi, thanks so much for your kind words! You just signed up for this one. Mumsnet have a form in their blogs section for bloggers to register. Once you’re on their system they contact you and let you know about events like this x

15. parentstoolbelt
    November 15, 2017 / 4:28 pm

Sounds like it was an awesome event. Thanks for giving all those highlights and tips. Great stuff … I’ve dropped this article in my Pocket account to come back and read it through a couple more times. #fortheloveofBLOG

16. November 15, 2017 / 6:16 pm

Thank you for sharing all of this informative information with us. I haven’t heard of Facebook Watch before. I’m so glad you could go to this event and learn so much there. Thank you for sharing your experience with all of us! #fortheloveofBLOG

17. aliduke79hotmailcom
    November 15, 2017 / 7:31 pm

What a great blogging event, so many tips to utilise. I have never heard of the Facebook Watch thing so will definitely look into that.

18. November 15, 2017 / 7:33 pm

Glad you had a good time, it looks like there was plenty to learn about! #fortheloveofBLOG

19. November 15, 2017 / 9:51 pm

It sounds like this was a great event and that you got a lot from it #fortheloveofBLOG

20. November 16, 2017 / 10:40 am

Great write up, and it sounds like you leanred a ton! Thanks for sharing it all with us too! <3 That's why this community is so awesome! xoxo #fortheloveofBLOG

21. November 16, 2017 / 11:07 am

Great post with so many tips. I wish I could have been there but these events are often too far! Maybe next year x
    #dreamteam

• November 16, 2017 / 11:07 am

#fortheloveofblog !!

22. November 17, 2017 / 2:12 pm

Oh wow, this sounds like an amazing day, you were spoilt with lessons this week! Lovely to see you the other day! See you at the next event no doubt! #fortheloveofBLOG (ps i’ve totally saved these tips to use myself!!!)

23. November 17, 2017 / 9:29 pm

Some really interesting tips! I have a Powershot and love it! Glad it you had a lovely time #forthelovofBLOG

24. November 18, 2017 / 3:17 pm

Oooo what an interesting post . Thank you for passing on what you learnt!! #fortheloveofBLOG

25. November 18, 2017 / 10:37 pm

This sounds like an awesome event and free??!! I’ve avoided most of the blogger events because of the cost, but I really would like to go to one next year. #fortheloveofBLOG