Amal Clooney should be congratulated for more than just her “post-baby body”

George and Amal Clooney

George and Amal Clooney have been snapped out and about after the birth of their twins

Women know how to thrive under pressure.

Throw us 10 tasks to get done today and we get them squared away by midday and move on to tomorrow’s to do list.

We are a formidable force to be reckoned with when it comes to withstanding the heat.

Perhaps this is why it is our sex that bears the children. Because there is no time in my life that I have faced so much pressure than when I had kids.

The pressure comes rushing at you from all angles. It creeps in from before the baby has even arrived with your birth plan and what pain relief you choose. We are urged to do it the natural way with as little drugs as possible.

Then once baby is here the pressure ratchets up a notch. Now we’re pressured to breastfeed, and keep the biscuits and tea flowing as a steady stream of visitors takes over our home.

We’re under pressure to get the baby into a routine, to get them sleeping though, but to also get out the house as much as possible.

George and Amal papped

It’s a tough time, we have a lot on our mind and some days its hard not to crack. Why then does the term “post-baby body” even exist?

By it’s very nature it just makes women feel bad. Why should we even be thinking about our waistlines and thighs when we’ve got a small, vulnerable human being to keep alive?

I’ve been inspired to rant on this topic by the latest pictures of Amal and George Clooney.

There have been several paparazzi shots of the couple, who welcomed twins two months ago, enjoying a break at their home in Lake Como, Italy.

Every story I’ve read has focussed on Amal’s weight and appearance. They describe her as “slender” and the Daily Mail said she “showcased her sensational physique just two months after giving birth”. The words slim, fit, shape, incredible and dozens of other similar phrases are scattered throughout hundreds of articles.

What irritates me is the way this reduces Amal’s recent achievements to what she looks like. Forget that she’s just had two beautiful babies, let’s focus on how flat her tummy is now they’re out of her.

This is an intelligent woman, she’s a barrister who fights against the worst human rights violations imaginable for goodness sake. I’m sure she’s not telling George: “These babies are ok, I suppose, but check out my abs? And have you seen my arse? Eight weeks, George, I look like this after just eight weeks!”

Self-esteem

I find it such a shame that young girls and women who have self-esteem issues might read articles with this kind of language and think that’s the important thing to focus on after having a baby.

It’s a dangerous road to go down; pressuring mums to lose weight when they’re flat out trying to cope with sleep deprivation, feeding round the clock and keeping the house from falling down.

This is no attack on Amal or any other woman who loses their baby weight soon after giving birth. Some people don’t gain any extra weight at all apart from the baby and fluid during pregnancy.

We’re all different, that’s just the way it is. Some people can pile through a pizza and tub of Ben and Jerry’s without gaining a pound.

Others just have to think about opening the fridge door and it adds another inch to the waistline.

Yes Amal looks amazing, she clearly loves her labels and makes an effort when she’s out with her hubby – it is George Clooney after all.

If I had her budget I’m sure I would splash out on stunning clothes to enjoy a night out with my other half. I love getting dressed up for a night off from the kids, it makes me feel like an actual human being again.

I just don’t think her “post-baby body” is what she should be defined by when pictures of her are printed.

Weight loss shouldn’t be a mum’s goal

It’s setting the bar high for the millions of other women who see photographs of her and cannot help but compare. Women who have no idea how or why Amal has lost that baby weight, or just didn’t gain any at all. Frankly, it’s none of our business to know.

Diet should be about just one thing in those weeks and months after giving birth, and that’s nourishment. We need to keep up our calories so that we’re physically strong enough to cope with the pressure we are under.

Your body is awash with hormones making you feel lower than normal, the last thing you need is to look in the mirror and feel like a failure because your love handles are looking worse than ever.

Why then is it presented as some kind of ultimate goal, a sign of winning at motherhood, if you’ve “snapped back into shape” after giving birth?

Women shouldn’t be worrying about weight loss right after having a baby

My body has changed a lot over the last three years since having two kids. I have some stretch marks on my tummy, a permanent mum tum and as I write I’m quitting breastfeeding, so soon my boobs will be like a pair of spaniel ears.

I remember looking at myself naked shortly after having my second and being pretty freaked out. My belly was still quite big, but all floppy, I had a dark line running down the middle or it and my skin had gone a weird yellow shade from all the blood loss during delivery.

I shut my dressing gown and got back to looking after my baby. I’m not saying there aren’t moments when I sigh a bit at the sight of myself, but I don’t spend all day long thinking about it.

I don’t care

And do you know why? It’s because ultimately I just don’t care that much about it compared with the myriad of other s**t I have to deal with.

I don’t care that my body is changed forever, I don’t care that I will never be a size 6. What I care about is I’ve had two beautiful children who mean the world to me.

I don’t want to waste any more time thinking about my figure than the five seconds of the day that I glance at my belly and suck it in to see what I would look like with a few less pounds on the waist.

So I’m calling for an end to this constant barrage of headlines about “showcasing her post-baby body” and how she “stepped out proving she’s still a supermodel just two days after giving birth”.

Stop reducing new mums to what the scales are telling them, stop celebrating their figures and please just celebrate the fact they’ve had a healthy, happy baby.

The term “post-baby body” is my Room 101 nomination.

It may not be the exact reflection from three years ago, but this is still my body and I’m proud of it.

Mummascribbles
3 Little Buttons
JakiJellz
Bringing up Georgia

August 22, 2017 / 7:49 am

Thank you! X

1. August 22, 2017 / 7:52 am

Well said – I hate these sort of tabloid stories that focus on a woman’s ‘post-baby’ body, either praising that she’s lost the baby weight so quickly, or shaming her because she hasn’t lost it quickly enough. It’s hardly the most important thing to think about when you have a newborn. #dreamteam

August 22, 2017 / 10:51 am

Absolutely, we have way more on our minds. Thank you x

2. August 22, 2017 / 8:29 am

Great post – it drives me mad. I remember after my first baby believing I would go back to my prechild weight within weeks – all the famous people do. I struggled for a long time with the reality of it all. Now I have had my 3rd I’m not that naive and truthfully I don’t really care. As long as my little ones are happy that is all that matters. #dreamteam

August 22, 2017 / 10:52 am

It is so tough to adjust to the changes, it’s already overwhelming but we don’t need the message that losing weight quickly is important shoved in our faces. Thanks for reading xx

3. August 22, 2017 / 9:34 am

Argh so bang on and I couldn’t agree more. Well done for saying this in such a great way so many people write about this stuff and end up criticising other women’s shapes and sizes. As you say were all very different 🙂 #twinklytuesday

August 22, 2017 / 10:52 am

Thanks so much! Xx

4. August 22, 2017 / 7:53 pm

I literally want to hug this post. The first months after having a baby were the toughest times that my body has ever been through. I was battered and (literally) torn to pieces, my boobs were on fire (not in a good way) and I was beyond sleep deprived. I wanted congratulating for the fact that I was still functioning. My “bikini body” could not have been further from my mind and why should it be? This is an excellent piece and I couldn’t agree more. Thanks for linking to #DreamTeam x

August 22, 2017 / 8:22 pm

Thanks so much for such a lovely comment! I feel really strongly about his subject as the early months after having a baby are so so hard and us ladies have a habit of putting a lot of pressure on ourselves. Quite right that your body was the last thing on your mind! Thanks for hosting xx

5. August 22, 2017 / 10:32 pm

Totally agree with you! It’s mental isn’t it, that a woman with her achievements is just credited for a great body! #twinklytuesday

August 23, 2017 / 5:57 pm

Totally mental, if it were me it would really do my head in. Hopefully she just laughs it off. thanks for reading x

6. August 23, 2017 / 4:51 pm

You are righy- ‘post baby body’ shouldn’t be a thing. Ridiculous x

7. August 24, 2017 / 1:19 pm

Totally agree with every comment here. There is so much in the press today about having the perfect post baby body, it is totally wrong, and put a lot of pressure on women who are desperate to get back into their skinny jeans after having a baby. It took me months, and my tummy after having one child still looks rubbish. I don’t think it will go back to what it was before, there’s one good thing about this, is that I can’t remember what it looked like before. Thanks so much for linking up at #fortheloveofBLOG. Claire x

August 24, 2017 / 8:49 pm

I definitely think it takes most women a long time, we’re all different and we just need to not compare ourselves to others or worry about snapping back into shape. There’s too much else to think about! Thanks for hosting x

8. August 24, 2017 / 3:24 pm

Totally agree with this, anyone reading these kinda articles with self-esteem issues would feel awful. We hate the term ‘post baby body’, we really wish they would celebrate the achievement of having a baby as opposed to what you look like afterwards 🙁 Popping over from #TwinklyTuesday #DreamTeam x

August 24, 2017 / 8:50 pm

Thanks so much, it’s such a shame stuff like this can knock people’s self esteem xx

9. twicemicrowavedtea
    August 24, 2017 / 11:03 pm

Great post. I also hate the kind of articles that focus on how amazing people look after having children. The fact is, a lot of very wealthy people in the public eye will also have more help than the average parent, be it a nanny, a cook, a nutritionist, a stylist. It’s easy for new mums to forget this when they’re sleep deprived, dealing with a newborn and coming to terms with their body after giving birth. I really think that articles like the one about Amal Clooney are just irresponsible and can have such a negative effect on a new mum’s self-esteem. #fortheloveofblog

August 25, 2017 / 10:35 am

Absolutely! And I imagine a lot of celebs are getting fit because they’ve been told they have to if they want their next job. Thanks for reading xx

10. August 25, 2017 / 1:43 pm

Totally agree with you. These articles are horrendous. Although people in real life can be pretty annoying too! I lost my baby weight quickly, without dieting (not a stealth boast honest! I still look crap without clothes—it’s just the weight fell off so I looked like my old self pretty quickly, I still have normal sag and stretch etc). It really annoyed me when anyone commented on it. I felt like my worth was judged on how I looked and no one cared that I’d grown a human. I also felt like I had to keep justifying myself because I felt like everyone thought I was really shallow and starving myself instead of loving my baby.

August 26, 2017 / 6:19 am

I was the same, lost it quickly with my first. No effort to do so on my part, it just happened. I hate that weight is even discussed after giving birth, needs to be a no-go subject! X

11. August 25, 2017 / 1:43 pm

This is such a great post. It just shoudkbt be a thing. To think about what our bodies go through before and after birth- well we simply all need a medal. And I bet, that even though she looks amazing, she probably feels like she’s been hit by a ton of bricks just like the rest of us! Thanks for linking up with #TwinklyTuesday

August 26, 2017 / 6:20 am

I think you’re right, I’m sure she finds it just as hard as the rest of us! Thanks for hosting x

12. August 26, 2017 / 5:26 pm

Yes, yes, yes! I have always said there is too much pressure. You have summed this up so brilliantly! Thanks for joining us at #TriumphantTales – hope to see you again Tuesday! 🙂

August 27, 2017 / 10:06 am