The big returning to work dilemma

The great returning to work dilemma for mums

I’ve spent the last three years making babies and keeping them alive.

There was a return to work for about eight months in the middle of that. But I am not one of those glowing pregnant women, unless you count the sweat brought on by nausea as a glow.

So as I returned to work pregnant again, and feeling pretty rubbish, it wasn’t really a period of meteoric climbing and grand achievements in my career. I survived it then went on leave to have my second baby.

Now we’re at the stage where I need to decide what to do about going back to work.

That awkward time where you weigh up the pros and cons of returning to work. Even the most ambitious career women may have to take a pause at this moment in their life, because it just doesn’t pay to work for some people.

When I return to work nearly all of my salary will go on the nursery bill for two kids. And yet I enjoy my job and we want to take out a mortgage for a bigger house next year. I need a few payslips behind me so we can think big.

If only nursery wasn’t so expensive. If only wages were higher. If only houses and grocery bills weren’t so eye-wateringly costly. If only more companies valued women the same as they value men.

Here’s the three options as I see it:

Full-time mum

Lots of quality time with the children.
Never miss a milestone. Saving money on nursery.

May actually go insane.
Main daily adult interaction is with other mums only and all you manage to talk about is primary school applications.

Part-time working mum

Best of both worlds.
Great for maintaining active CV.

You’re actually doing your full-time job with less time and less pay.
You’re working your tits off but the 25-year-old idiot who started five years after you did is more likely to get the promotion.

Full-time work

Interaction with other adults about adult stuff on a daily basis.
Enjoy the quality family time at weekends even more.
Having a career to nurture and feeling personal pride at succeeding.
Making the point that just because you’re the woman, why the hell shouldn’t you go back to work full-time.

Guilt at leaving kids in full-time childcare.
Constant feeling of missing out on something.
Never any time to eat, shower, speak to other half, draw breath.
What the f**k do you do about school holidays?

As you can see, it’s a tricky one.

It’s funny how quickly the way of life changes. For our grandmothers, going back to work would have been out of the question.

For our mums it was touch and go. Now for us, most of my friends do some form of work.

It’s a real mixed bag when I think about what they’re all up to, and I think that’s great.

Decide what makes you happy, then make it work.

If that means trying something completely new, I say go for it. What do you have to lose?

I think for many of us, having kids can cause a bit of a knock to our confidence. We feel like we’ve been out of the game for too long and the men have the advantage of complete consistency on their CV.

Putting ourselves out there, in whatever way makes us most comfortable, is the way forward. Be brave. Forge a new path. Pick a new passion. Put your career on pause but remember you can return in the future.

Depending on circumstances, financial and practical, we may have to accept that we can’t have it all. At least for now.

The important thing is to do what works for you and your family.

Weighing up the options for returning to work after having a baby.

My Random Musings

Join me in the Bubble!

Subscribe to get my latest content by email, plus lots of hacks to save you, busy mama, precious time.

We won't send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time. Powered by ConvertKit

1. August 16, 2017 / 6:27 am

I’m a huge fan of pros and cons lists. Hubster and I bought a small house and live within our means so I could quit my job and become a writer. Some people might say we could do more if I still worked, but our pro list was bigger. #BloggerClubUK

August 16, 2017 / 10:40 am

Yes lists are the best. It’s great that you’re following your dreams x

2. August 16, 2017 / 6:56 am

Great post, I decided to take the “sahm” option after I had my kiddies, The biggest con for the sahm iv found is the way society looks at you for “not working” Thanks for linking up to #livelifelove

August 16, 2017 / 10:39 am

Yes that’s so true! I hope the perception changes. X

3. August 16, 2017 / 7:14 am

Great post! When I had my first babies I was determined to go back to work. I loved my job and couldnt imagine being a full time mum.
    My mums words always stuck with me ‘they are babies for such a short amount of time, you have the rest of your life to go back to work’
    I was fortunate enough that hubby earned enough to support us, so i started back part time.
    After baby four (I have six) I went back to college in the evenings and trained in beauty.
    I love mixing being a mum, working and blogging!
    I have friends and family that are struging with this dilema though, none if the factors are fair!

August 16, 2017 / 10:39 am

Wow six, and going back to college too. Well done you, you’ve worked so hard. Must be a real juggling act but sounds like you’ve found a good balance x

4. August 16, 2017 / 8:41 am

It’s a mixed bag and each option has pros and cons. My mummy went back full time on compressed hours so she had long weekends with me but now that I start school in September she’ll go back to normal hours. Sanity is important for her and she needs to get out of the house x #BloggerClubUK x

August 16, 2017 / 10:38 am

Sanity is absolutely vital. I think it’s great when you can strike a good balance x

5. August 16, 2017 / 10:11 am

Great post. There is a 4th option…. set up your own business from home, although the con is no secure income. There are lots of direct selling opportunities now that can work around children too.

August 16, 2017 / 10:40 am

Great point! I would love to be able to do this. X

6. August 18, 2017 / 1:59 pm

I’ve pretty much tried every option going I think! I’ve settled for staying at home for a while because it just didn’t seem to make any sense to hand over everything I earn to a nursery… #BloggerClubUK

August 19, 2017 / 6:45 am

No it really doesn’t, particularly if you would rather be home with your child than working. I’m torn between the two ideas. X

7. August 21, 2017 / 5:04 pm

Ah ya it’s such a tough choice & definitely depends on each family’s situation. I think no matter what you choose it’s tough going. I love your feature image, so cute! Thank you for sharing with us at #BloggerClubUK x

August 21, 2017 / 8:46 pm

Yes that’s so true, it is tough. Thanks for reading and for hosting xx